Monday 7 December 2015

Waste Not : Another Week in Food

I realised that looking at my food consumption for jet one week wasn't really going to show any trends or habits so I decided to keep going and scrutinise my habits for another week. I was rather worried, at the beginning of the week, that I would have to throw a lot out but I managed to make use of most things before they were lost forever. So here's the update for last week...

Used
  • Almond milk, avocado, spinach, apple - smoothie with spirulina powder, cinnamon, vanilla and frozen banana
  • Squash, leeks, onions - roasted veg soup
  • Avocado, broccoli, sweet potato, eggs, beetroot, spinach - "healthy bowl" meals
  • Carrot and apple juices - used for my barley grass shots
  • Spinach, lettuce, apple, red pepper, cheese - salad
  • Apples - snacked on these, some plain and some with almond butter
  • Avocado, tomatoes, spinach, eggs - a lovely brunch
  • Sheep's yogurt - this was mixed with granola 
  • Apple juice - soaked some granola and topped with yogurt
  • Left over lentil soup
  • Left over rice, red pepper, broccoli, egg - egg fried rice
Bought
Avocado
Tomatoes
Sweet potatoes
Pomegranate juice
Sheep's yogurt

Wasted
I had to throw out  more tomatoes that had gone mouldy and the rest of the clementines.

What's Left
Excluding the things I bought this week...
  • A broccoli stalk
  • Half a red pepper
  • Beetroot
  • Apples 
  • Chillies  
  • Onions 
  • Sheep's cheese
  • Eggs
  • Condiments and protein shakes
  • Roast veg soup
So at the end of this experiment I'm fairly happy that I don't waste any fresh food but what I DO need to work on, and what will be a priority project in the new year, is to start using up my store cupboard staples. I've got stacks of pulses, grains, nut butters and so on, that I seem to keep adding to rather than using up. And there's no harm in using things up, I don't have to ration things out just in case, nor have a huge variety of these things on hand.

Are you guilty of hoarding dry goods? What store cupboard essential can't you be without?

No comments:

Post a Comment