Monday 8 December 2014

RunFitUK : Up and Running

It's official, RunFitUK has landed in Bracknell! I was all a jitter last Tuesday in advance of the taster session that was planned. I knew I had six people signed up and just wanted to make sure everyone had a fun workout. I think I achieved that.

In case you're not in the know, RunFitUK is a running fitness club. The sessions are designed to complement any club/distance training that people may already be involved in by focusing on running specific strength, core and conditioning exercises, technique drills, interval training and stretching but without the distance running. It's suitable for all levels and we try to inject a healthy dose of fun too. I was thrilled to be given the opportunity to become a coach.

Tuesday was a cold and windy night but that just meant we had to keep moving! We are very fortunate to have been given permission to use the car park belonging to Tool Station. It's a good sized space and well lit, very important in these dark months. The session started with the all important warm up and then some Indian File intervals. I was so impressed with the effort everyone put in. Each session will include an element of technique work and for the first session we tried to practice running tall and lightly, even when running fast.

Lunges, squats and balance exercises were interspersed with more laps to keep everyone warm but I think the highlight was the chocolate relay; teams were pitted against each other to see who could steal the most chocolates from the other in the time allowed. Chaos ensued but there was a lot of laughter and a lot of fast running. Like all good sessions should we ended with a warm down and stretches and as it's the Christmas season the chocolates were divvied up as reward for the hard work.

I had a lot of fun meeting everyone and finding out about their varied running backgrounds. I really hope I can help them all to improve their running in one way or another. This was, as I mentioned, a taster session with sessions officially meant to start in January, but there was a lot of enthusiasm for classes to continue up to Christmas so tomorrow it's likely you'll find me outside Tool Station again, in my RunFitUK t-shirt, all geared up and ready to put my RunFitters through their paces. Without giving too much away they're going to have to show some pretty nifty footwork.

If you'd like to join us, or know someone that might be interested, you can find all the information you need on the website here: RunFitUK. Book a wildcard for a one off session or dive in with a session pack. And if you can't join my group, perhaps one of our other coaches is nearer to you. We'd love to have you along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment