Friday 21 November 2014

Taper Time. Cue Kit Panic.

This week's training...
Saturday: parkrun
Sunday: 11 mile run (3 with mum)
Monday: Rest day
Tuesday: 5km hills & Body Balance
Wednesday: Rest Day
Thursday: Rest Day
Friday: 6 mile run

I'm supposedly in my tapering phase although I don't feel as though I ever quite got ramped up as much as I'd hoped. There's a week and a couple of days to go until Gatliff and there's a distinct feeling of "I'm as ready as I'm going to be". I've had three good runs in the last seven days.
1) I enjoyed my parkrun tourism on Saturday to Orpington where Strava ambassador and fellow Gatliff participant, John, and I met up for a bit of a chin wag. He went on to smash his PB at Brighton 10k the following day - kudos John!
2) My 11 miler on Sunday was an uplifting experience, being greeted with cheery hellos from many fellow runners and running around the beautiful Danson Park with my mum.
3) On today's 6 mile run I *finally* tested out my camelbak and discovered that it did not chafe or annoy - score! Although drizzly it was beautiful outside, all those golden leaves fluttering down from the trees. I wish I'd taken some photos. I should start doing that.
Winter running. Snug as a bug.
Although my running is almost nonexistent next week it's a busy one, with two trips to London on a school night. I know I should be resting up a bit but there's so much LIFE to fit in! At least one of my social engagements is a swim and sauna evening. I'm in the middle of an assignment for my PT diploma and I'm hoping to use a new book to inspire some more RunFitUK session plans. The taster session is two days after Gatliff... I'm glad I can get away with just demoing the exercises.
Inspiration for RunFitUK sessions
I'm still floundering around with what kit I need for Gatliff. I'm not sure whether to go for trail shoes that aren't reliably blister-free after 12 miles or my road shoes. I know I can wear my camelbak but there's not masses of room in it for snacks so I'll probably take a waist pack as well. How many snacks should I take? Where the heck am I going to put my head torch when I don't need it? I don't have maps! Should I have maps? Bit late now I suppose.
But where will the snacks go!!!!
Maybe there'll be some sort of divine inspiration at the Running & Endurance Show this weekend. I'm missing parkrun so I can make the seminar on Training & Nutrition for Ultra-Running. I've got more daft events in the calendar so it'll be useful for those. I'm looking forward to browsing all the new kit ranges and seeing some familiar faces. My mum's coming along too... although she's meeting me after the seminar ;) If you're planning on being there and want to say hi just look out for the Team Bear hoodie...
Now I've not been pushing it too much but I *am* running Gatlif to fundraise for Hospiscare. I'm trying to raise at least £1,000 by taking part in these challenges. If you can spare even just a few pounds it would be hugely appreciated. You can donate via http://www.justgiving.com/VikkiRunning or by texting  VRUN86 £10 to 70070 to sponsor me £10 (or other amount. I'll be applying for fund matching through my company so every donation will count double!

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment