Wednesday 6 August 2014

Recipe : Rum & Raisin Dessert

Tucking into the Whey Hey samples at Gloanna recently got me thinking... I wonder if I can make my own protein-rich dessert? Turns out I can and it's pretty easy. Now I don't pretend to rival Whey Hey in any way shape or form with this but it was quick to make, very delicious and a slightly healthier alternative to ice cream.

May I present... Rum & Raisin Frozen Yogurt!

Mix 250g of greek yogurt (I went full fat) with three scoops of Rum 'n' Raisin Ice Cream flavour protein powder and a handful of raisins or sultanas. Then just pop it in the freezer for a few hours, stirring every hour or so to reduce the size of the ice particles.
You could use any flavour protein powder that takes your fancy. I've got some Mint Choc Brownie flavour which I reckon would be awesome with some chopped pecans, and a Jaffa Cake flavour which I'm itching to mix in with some chocolate orange chips I have hanging around. I'm a big fan of mixing in some frozen fruits, biscuit pieces or nuts to give it a bit of texture.

I found that it needed to be taken out of the freezer for a little while to defrost to a "scoopable" consistency but was worth the wait.
What I liked most about this is that I could make as little or as much as I wanted at a time. I often have ice cream sitting around in my freezer for ages because often, I only want a bit, but this allows me to just make a couple of servings at a time, and then ring the changes next time.
Nutritionals
I've done the sums and compared my dessert with Carte D'or Rum & Raisin Ice cream. They're like for like on kcals but the frozen yogurt has way more protein and half the CHO and sugars. This will vary depending on the brand of protein powder you use and whether you choose to use low fat greek or natural yogurt. I'm sure you could get away with using just 2 scoops of protein powder, which would reduce the kcals even more.

Rum & Raisin Carte D'or Rum Raisin Protein Frozen Yogurt
Serving 100g 100g
kcals 200 200
Carbohydrate 24 12
Protein 3 20
Fat 8 8
Sat. Fats 5 6
Sugars 23 11

If you decide to give this a go, or have made something similar in the past, please let me know what your flavour combos were... I'm all up for inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment